Discussion for Week 1
This class uses a different approach to discussions.Each student is assigned to one of four groups (Group 1-4) and each group has 2 weeks during the 8 week class in which they are responsible for the initial response postings, and the other 6 weeks the groups respond to others' postings. The responses will be done by each member of the group; this is not a "group project," but just a way to divide the class. To determine which group you are in, go to My Tools > Groups.
Weekly Assignments for Groups
Group 1: Each member posts main responses in Weeks 1 and 5; replies to other students' main responses in weeks 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8.
Group 2: Each member posts main responses in Weeks 2 and 6; replies to other students' main responses in weeks 1, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8.
Group 3: Each member posts main responses in Weeks 3 and 7; replies to other students' main responses in weeks 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 8.
Group 4: Each member posts main responses in Weeks 4 and 8; replies to other students' main responses in weeks 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7.
Topic: Describe the roles of technology, people, information, and organizational components in health care information systems.
The readings for this week discuss health care organizations and systems, including systems to support administration, billing and finance. For your Stage 1 assignment, you will describe the roles of people, technology, processes, organizational components, and data/information in the EHR system for the Midtown Family Clinic. For this discussion, you will practice explaining these roles as they relate to a billing system for a hospital.
GROUP 1:As regards a billing system for a hospital, describe the role of each of the following:
1. People – who are the people that use the billing system? What other people are affected by the billing system?
2. Organizational Components – what departments use the billing system? What other departments or outside organizations might be involved?
3. Processes – what activities (processes) are the users of the system engaged in? (please do not just say "billing"!)
4. Data/information – list 5 data elements or information items that are important in the billing system.
5. Technology – how does technology support the billing system? What are some expectations you have about how the technology performs?
GROUPS 2,3 and 4:In replying to the postings, you are to critically evaluate all of the following for at least two main postings:
1. Are the explanations of the roles of each of the five components listed above clear, complete and accurate? If not, explain.
2. Is there a clear relationship between each of the five components described and the hospital billing system?
3. Provide at least one addition to one of the component descriptions (identify another person, organizational component, process, data element, or aspect of technology)
EVERYONE:Review the criteria in the Discussion Grading Rubric, and reply to those who critique your work or post other points of view. Be sure to demonstrate your understanding of the topic and analytical thinking.
Discussion for Week 2