Assignment #1 The Health Problem –Health Policy Link
Assignment 1 Instructions
Prepare a summary document using the table format as specified below. Please make sure you follow the instructions and meet all the requirements and consult the grading rubric before you prepare your report. The contents of the table should be single spaced and total no more than 2.5 pages in 11 to 12 point font. Except in the case of titles, use complete sentences, i.e. write using narrative format. Include a cover page before the table, and a list of references in APA Format, after the table.
Tobacco dependency threatens the health of many Americans and it poses a preventable burden to the health care system.
It is not unusual for patients in US hospitals to acquire preventable diseases infections and conditions during their stay in the hospital.
A growing pool of patients is unable to read and write in the English language. Language is a barrier to effective care delivery as well as patient compliance.
Elderly and disabled patients with multiple medications are at risk of medication interactions and potential drug safety concerns.
Veterans may suffer from service-related injuries, both physical and mental health are concerns for the VA.
Not all medical devices are constructed safely. Patients and providers rely on their safety.
Health care providers are scarce in certain low-income and rural underserved areas in the US, including Native American territories.
Disadvantaged patients may seek care in emergency rooms because they have no where else to receive services.
Disadvantaged children often do not have health insurance and do not receive the preventive care (such as vaccines and well-baby check-ups) that can avoid long-term health problems.
HGMT 310 Assignment #1
Type your name here.
Assignment #1 Title:
Provide (1) a short name for the health problem and (2) one short name of the federal legislation.
Describe and provide details about the health problem. Indicate in detail who is most impacted by this health problem. Include relevant statistics (incidence, mortality, morbidity, etc). This section must include how the problem impacts patients, health provider professionals, health organizations, and government. Note the human and financial costs. Use in-text citations and include a list of references
Healthy People 2020:
Summarize the health problem as recognized by Healthy People 2020. Discuss how the health problem you identified aligns with the HP2020 goals for the nation. Use in-text citations as needed. Does another governmental document describe the problem? If so, indicate the source. Hypothesize about why this specific societal health problem might have been excluded from HP2020
Official Title and Citation of the Legislation:
Indicate the government’s response to the health problem you selected. Select one piece of legislation. In this section include the Bill Number or the citation from the statute with the section.
Describe the public policy response:
Describe the scope of the legislation and the anticipated impact on the health of the population.
As of the date of submission of this report, what is the status of the legislation in the health policy cycle? Indicate and provide a citation of the source of information for this status of the legislation
Does the health policy adequately address the health problem you identified? Provide a citation of the source of information for this conclusion.
Resources for Updates:
What specific resource would a health organization use to check for updates on this policy? Provide a citation of the resource/source, and an example of such an update
Assignment #2- Policy Implementation (17.5 points)
Assignment 2 should build on Assignment #1. You will base your report on the same health problem, the same health policy, and the same federal legislation that you used in Assignment 1. Complete Assignment 2 using the table format as specified below. Please make sure you follow the instructions and meet all the requirements and consult the grading rubric before you prepare your report. The contents of the table should be single spaced and total no more than 2.5 pages in 11 to 12 point font. Except in the case of titles, use complete sentences, i.e. write using narrative format. Include a cover page before the table, and a list of references in APA Format, after the table.
HGMT 310 Assignment #2
Type your name here.
Assignment #2 Title:
Provide (1) a short name of the legislation, and (2) the official title of the legislation
Identify the agency and subunit (such as a bureau or office) responsible for implementing the policy. If multiple agencies are involved indicate who is responsible for what.
What federal or state agency is responsible for enforcement? What are the key areas for enforcement?
How is the legislation implemented? What federal or state agency is charged with its implementation? Indicate how the following agencies or stakeholders are involved in the implementation or engagement to achieve the aims of the policy: (1) local public health departments (2) collaborating organizations (3) citizens (4) health provider organizations? Are grants awarded as part of the implementation of this legislation and towards what end?
Impact on Health Service Organizations:
What does a Health Care Manager need to know about this legislation and the related implementation? Include five bullets of how this legislation impacts health services organizations operating in a particular state you selected.
What specific resource would a health organization utilize to find updates regarding the impact of policies and this legislation on health services organizations generally? Provide a citation of the resource/source, and an example of such an update.
All sections of Assignment #2 are required.
Assignment #3- Health Policy Regulations
Last week you selected the following 2 items and submitted them for approval:
(1) a topic related to health policy regulations from the list below.
(2) a State with a set of health policy regulations (NOT legislation) relating to the topic you selected
Assignment 3 Instructions
You will need to submit 2 documents for grading in Assignment 3:
(1) A summary document (like you did in Assignments 1 and 2) using the table format as specified below. Please make sure you follow the instructions and meet all the requirements and consult the grading rubric before you prepare your report. The contents of the table should be single spaced and total no more than 2.5 pages in 11 to 12 point font. Except in the case of titles, use complete sentences, i.e. write using narrative format. Include a cover page before the table, and a list of references in APA Format, after the table.
(2) A good copy of the State Regulation with 5 to 6 key aspects or notable parts of it highlighted or underlined or marked clearly. For each of the notable parts you have highlighted, describe in your report (above, in table format) how the patient, provider, product developer, health care organization and payer may be impacted.
Front-line workers are required to be immunized for influenza and potentially other contagious diseases. Where does this requirement come from and how does the state regulation ensure compliance?
Health professionals have responsibility for reporting elder and child abuse and neglect. How do state regulations help to meet this expectation?
Long-term care facilities must offer certain services according to state standards. What are they?
Some states have a certificate of need program to assess the need for new health service providers. How does this work?
Lead paint screening is a federal initiative that takes place in nearly every state, how are these services regulated on the state level?
Sexually transmitted diseases are reportable under state regulation. What diseases and what regulations ensure this reporting properly.
Parental notification is required for the treatment of minors. Select a state and indicate how parental notification related to teen pregnancy in that state.
Patients must consent to participate in research studies, including granting permission to use their biological tissues for tissue banks or organ banks. Does this involve state regulations if not what laws govern this?
Health insurance is administered on a state level. What state regulations govern Health Information Exchange? (Note you must select a state with a Health Information Exchange in operation or close to operation.)
Alcohol and drug treatment varies widely across states. Select a state and note the specific regulations about drug treatment facilities.
Type your name here.
Assignment #3 Title:
Provide a short name and the official title of the State Rules.
Identify the state agency and subunit (such as a bureau or office) responsible for oversight of the rules.
Incentives and Enforcement:
What carrot (incentives) and sticks (enforcements and punishments) are noted in the regulations? Is there training for personnel? Technical Assistance?
Key Aspect of the Regulation #1:
How does this section of the regulation impact payers/insurers/health plans, health care professionals, health provider organizations, or health product developers?
Key Aspect of the Regulation #2:
Key Aspect of the Regulation #3:
Key Aspect of the Regulation #4:
Key Aspect of the Regulation #5:
Notated Copy of the Rules:
Attach the copy of the regulation that you have marked up. Underline, highlight or note key sections. Mark them (1), (2), (3), etc. You may use technology to mark up in PDF or print, handwrite and scan the rules. Attach when you submit the assignment.
All sections of Assignment #3 are required.
Hmgt310 Assignment #4: Final project - Roots of Organizational Policy
Assignment #4. Roots of Organizational Policy
Two weeks ago (Week 6) each student selected (1) a specific management area from a list provided and (2) a policy manual pertaining to the specific management area.
Last week (Week 7):
(1) Each student mapped out and described a minimum of five (5) organizational policies (from the policy manual selected) that is linked to federal or state legislative mandates or regulations. Note that some organizational policies may be required for accreditation and also related to public policy. This is the case with many NCQA standards.
(2) Prepared a report to be presented in a PowerPoint slide presentation format. There should be no more than 10-15 content slides. It should include a cover slide (at the beginning) and a reference slide (at the end). The content for the slides should draw on what the student has learned throughout this class including (a) a summary of each organizational policy; (b) the federal/state legislative roots (or links) for the policy (by name and statute); (c) any pending changes to the legislation; (d) the student’s metrics for the organization in terms of performance.
(3) A draft of the complete set of slides was posted as an attachment by 11:59 pm Sunday 4/30/17 (Week 7) for peer and class review in a dedicated online discussion forum and also for Instructor review.
These are the 15 Health Management Areas (one was selected):
1. facilities planning and maintenance
2. occupational health & safety
3. prevention programs for health disparities
4. payment processing and billing
5. human resources
6. health information technology and EMR
7. pharmacy services
8. laboratory services
9. supply chain Medical Equipment/ Technology
10. patient/customer and community relations
11. patient support services
12. strategic planning and new service development
13. advertising or marketing
14. Internal Quality Control
15. Direct Patient Care
This week (Week 8):
(4) Each student should review each set of slides and write comments on the slides of 2 student peers by 11:59 pm Wednesday
(5) At 11:59 pm on Wednesday 12/14, each student’s comments on at least 3 peers’ slides are due in the online discussion forum set up for that purpose.
(7) After 12:01 am on Thursday and before 11:59 pm on Sunday, each student should submit their completed Assignment #4 (Submitted after they have incorporated any review suggestions on their slides from class peers and the professor.