The MGT599 Case is an ongoing exercise, meaning that we will be thoroughly reviewing one company throughout our four modules. This session, we will be conducting a strategic analysis of Pepsico.
Most companies have something that resembles a vision, mission, or set of values; or stated goals/objectives that define who the company is and how the company plans to do business. However, organizations may not always label these statements properly — calling a vision a mission, or calling their values a set of beliefs. Sometimes, companies do not have a mission statement at all, operating instead on a set of goals.
Hammonds, K. (2007). Michael Porter's big ideas. Fast Company, 44. Retrieved on August 27, 2014, from https://www.fastcompany.com/42485/michael-porters-big-ideas
In this assignment, you will be critically evaluating the vision, values, mission statement, and goals/objectives of Pepsico.
Keys to the Assignment
After studying the background materials and completing the SLP, you are in an excellent position to evaluate a company's published mission, vision, values, and objectives/goals. This Case asks you to begin your strategic analysis of Pepsico by evaluating the company's mission, vision, values, and goals. To do this, observe the following procedure:
• Step 1: Visit the official website of Pepsico and identify the company’s vision, mission, values, and goals. (Hint: You will need to do some exploring and a certain amount of speculation—as the terms "vision" and "mission" (and sometimes even the term "company goals") are used interchangeably. Explore the "Who We Are" and "Investors" (and other) links. Also, be sure that you look closely at the most recent Annual Reports.
• Step 2: Critically evaluate the mission, vision, values, and goals (again, you will likely need to make decisions as to which is which). Use the criteria in the background materials to support your assessment of the quality of the company's mission, vision, values, and goals.
• Step 3: Determine which (if any) of the elements consider the goals and needs of specific stakeholder groups. Write down any examples.
• Step 4: Consider what changes are needed to improve the vision statement, the mission statement, the statement of company values, and the company's objectives and goals.
• Step 5: Write a 6-7 page paper addressing the above requirements. You must meet minimum length requirements, by responding to each step above with precision and with depth of critical thinking.
NOTE THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS AS WELL:
1. Use of proper APA style is required in this course. Therefore, prepare your Case with proper documentation of sources, using in-text citations and a complete end reference list. Refer to the Well-Written Paper guide if you are not familiar with APA style.
2. Consider the Case as a formal business report that you are developing for the Board of Directors and CEO as Pepsico’s external consultant. This is a professional document. Follow the format below:
3. Note: You must use section headings to respond to all major requirements in all papers. Your section headings should appear similar to the following:
• Executive summary: This is a synopsis of the main points, conclusions, and recommendations made in the longer report. If you have never written an executive summary before, or would like a refresher, check this link: http://www.csun.edu/~vcecn006/summary.html
• Introduction: State the main purpose of the paper (thesis statement), what you hope to accomplish, and how you will go about doing it.
• Main Body: The "meat" of the paper. Emphasize analysis, not just description. Don’t just give me facts – interpret them! Delineate separate topics or sections with appropriate use of headings.
o Executive Summary
o Company's Mission Statement and Analysis
o Company's Vision and Analysis
o Company's Values and Analysis
o Alignment of Company's Mission, Vision, Values, and Goals with Stakeholders' Interests
o Recommended Changes
Your paper will be evaluated using the grading rubric.
Tips and Suggestions
Note the following tips and suggestions:
• Business school case-study assignments are meant to offer practice opportunities for future business people who are earning their MBA degrees. Consider yourself a consultant hired by the company to make these critical assessments. There are no right or wrong answers to the Case question, so long as your position is well-defended.
• Study the theoretical concepts provided in the Background materials section of the module, and identify main strategy concepts.
• Analyze the vision, mission statement, etc. according to the criteria presented in the Background materials. Be critical and do not let yourself be influenced by a company's "spin."
• Do not hesitate to criticize the current statements. In many instances, you may not be able to find information on the company's website. Many companies do not get this right.
• Include a cover page and reference page, in addition to the 6-7 pages of analysis described above.
• Include appropriate section headings.
• Cite and reference all sources, including those that you paraphrase. This means include citations and quotation marks for direct quotes of more than five words, and citations for information you have "borrowed" or paraphrased from other sources.
• Follow TUI Guidelines for Well-Written Papers.
• Submit your analysis by the end of this module.
Preview of MGT599-module-1-case-2018.docx