Your task is to conduct a global industry comparative analysis that will help develop the strategy for expanding your organization's products into a new country. Note that the term products will refer to products, services, or a combination of the two.
In this fictional market expansion, your analysis will examine a real-life organization. To accomplish this task, you need to identify and assess the risks that your organization may encounter, such as market barriers and competition, as well as opportunities for success in the selected country. As the general manager for strategy, you have been tasked with the following:
- Analyze your organization's resources and capabilities (organization profile).
- Evaluate the external environment, specifically the industry in which your organization operates (industry analysis).
- Select a new country as a market for expanding your organization's products (country risk assessment). You will select one country from the provided list and assess the risks associated with doing business in that country, including risks presented by its economic, political, and cultural environments.
Based on your research, in three weeks you will make a recommendation to your senior vice president and CEO on expanding into this new market. Be sure to budget enough time for each of the 13 steps.
When you submit your project, your work will be evaluated using the competencies listed below. You can use the list below to self-check your work before submission.
- 1.1: Organize document or presentation clearly in a manner that promotes understanding and meets the requirements of the assignment.
- 5.2: Assess the implications of legal, ethical, and cultural (national) standards on an organization's operations in global markets and make recommendations for appropriate actions.
- 6.1: Identify the general (external) environment in which an organization operates and discuss the implications for enterprise success.
- 6.2: Evaluate the strategic implications for domestic and international markets of an organization's industry.
- 6.3: Analyze an organization's internal strengths and weaknesses for strategic value.
- 6.4: Develop and recommend strategies for an organization's sustainable competitive advantage.
- 7.4: Analyze the impact of international and foreign laws on US organizations acting domestically and abroad.
- 8.1: Evaluate major business/organizational systems and processes and make recommendations for improvement.
- 9.1: Design organizational structure, systems and processes that support the strategic goals of the organization.
- 10.1: Apply relevant microeconomics principles to support strategic decisions for the organization.
- 12.1: Assess market risk and opportunity.
- 13.1: Identify and analyze new opportunities.
- 13.2: Create and implement new initiative or enterprise.
- 13.3: Create and manage new enterprise.
MBA 670 Project 3 List of Organizations
(Selected from S&P 500)
Gilead Sciences (GLID)
Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX)
Alexion Pharmaceuticals (ALXN)
Campbell Soup (CPB)
Goodyear Tire & Rubber (GT)
Hasbro Inc. (HAS)
Hormel Foods (HRL)
Kraft Heinz (KHC)
L Brands (LB)
Stanley Black & Decker (SWK)
Lockheed Martin (LMT)
Northrop Grumman (NOC)
Chesapeake Energy (CHK)
Murphy Oil (MUR)
Noble Energy (NBL)
Occidental Petroleum (OXY)
Host Hotels & Resorts (HST)
Marriott International (MAR)
Wyndham Worldwide (WYN)
Juniper Networks (JNPR)
The Travelers Companies (TRV)
Abbott Laboratories (ABT)
Lilly (Eli) & Co. (LLY)